Setting up Windows 10 as a VM

smikBox Windows Virtual Machines (VM) on NAS Setting up Windows 10 as a VM

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

In response to a number of emails and questions over chat, we have set up this Topic to publish answers and share resources on using Windows as a Virtual machine on a NAS.

admin
    Keymaster

How do I make a connection private on Windows7,10 and Windows Server 2012 R2
    Problems
    1) After a restart of one of our servers (a Windows Server 2012 R2), all private connections become public and vice versa
    2) During install I selected public network when I should of used private or vise versa
    3) Where do I change the connection type from private to public network

Solution:
    http://serverfault.com/questions/639088/how-do-i-make-a-connection-private-on-windows-server-2012-r2

admin
    Keymaster

What are the reasons for using Windows 7,8,10 or Windows server (2008,2012 R2 or otherwise) on my NAS?

Some of the immediate benefits are:
    1) If your needing to perform tasks on a PC as if you were in the same office or using a PC on a local network setting up a Windows VM is a good idea.
    2) Once the NAS is installed, you can connect to your NAS using HTTP for admin, but the Virtualzation station needs additional modem configuration to allow you to use it from the QTS NAS admin console when working remotely. Further to this you cant get access to routers, switches, Camera’s, printers, iOT devices from an external HTTP interface without going to a lot of time and effort setting up the router to allow external access.
    Additionally your exposing your network a little more each time you open seldom used ports for administrative functions. Windows for all it’s failures is still secure enough for most people, and using a PC to then open a Web browser from inside the firewall to perform admin functions is a simpler solution. You have just one point of entry that is easier to secure, supervise and monitor.
    3) If you want a generic PC to share amoungst people to perform simple tasks, a Virtual PC is great. e.g. an internet marketing tool with only one login account that gets data from social accounts, and is shared amoungst a number of people in the office.
    4) If you want to test software downloaded from a site your unfamiliar with, just clone a PC and test it. If it fails or corrupts that virtual PC, you can just delete that damaged PC.
    5) If your intending to use PC software that uses a lot of graphics and local processing a Windows 10 VM is a good choice.
    6) If you have the potential for many people to login and use Windows, if using separate PC’s each PC will need 2GB of memory or more. In that case a Windows server, with for example 2-4GB of memory can accommodate more users within the same memory that would be possible using a separate PC for each person.

admin
    Keymaster

More benefits
    7) One of the offices just called where the user could not find a file. In a few clicks I logged in using a Windows 2012 console, and ran Effective search to locate the files in a recycle bin.
    The search from a VM is much faster that local network PC that only have 1GB ethernet connection. The VM PC is accessing the NAS folders through a virtual switch, so it appears as a normal drive but is actually bypassing local network and accessing through the machines memory.

These results searched a 3TB volume in seconds ..!

http://prntscr.com/d4f3ef

Very convenient !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.