What are the Pros/Cons of using a Website on my NAS

smikBox Personal Cloud for Business What are the Pros/Cons of using a Website on my NAS

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  admin 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Edward Simms
    Participant

I want to set up a personal blog, with WordPress plugins and WordPress.com does not allow plugins,and dont want a paid service because its just for my occasional personal use.

What are the steps to get it running on a smikBox NAS, I assume its the same as any other server install of WordPress ?

Is there any tricks of shortcuts I should know about?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Edward Simms. Reason: Had not finished and pressed ENter

admin
    Keymaster

The installation on a NAS should be very simple. In the case of QNAP there is a standard facility to create virtual hosts, which means you can have many sites, each with their own unique domain pointing to the IP address of your site, and the NAS will (based on the domain name requested by client) redirect to the correct website (just like magic!).

Each of these Virtual sites could be WordPress, Drupal, Joomla or any of the other add on applications provided with QNAP QTS.

Under the covers its the Apache server reverse proxy that is doing the work, but the QNAP management console shields from all this.

The documentation at https://www.qnap.com/en-au/tutorial/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=16 is fairly self explanatory, and we have used it many times without a glitch.

The only variation being that if your running a Virtual host using Virtualization, you will need to make alterations the the /etc/config/apache.conf/extras/.. files to make it redirect to another IP address. This more advanced configuration is provided as a part of the smikbox service, and outside the scope of this topic.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.